5 Tips for a Long Lasting Air Compressor
As we discuss a lot in this blog, there are some things you can do on your own to ensure your air compressor system lasts a good long time- as it was built to. Someone asked us to keep it simple, and give them five things you can do right now to lengthen the life of your compressor.
So, here we go:
- Listen. Seems easy enough, right? You listen every day but do you really hear? Keep your ears open for strange noises, you’ll get to know what a perfectly running air compressor sounds like and anything that sounds different is a red flag. Just listening can help prevent serious trouble in the long run.
- Check for leaks. Do this religiously. Even small leaks can cost a lot of money when left unattended over a long period of time and can divert as much as 25% of your compressed air. Conduct regular inspections of your entire system and consider acquiring and learning how to use an ultrasonic leak detector. ACS can come to your facility and check for leaks as well, so don’t hesitate to contact us.
- Monitor and control the temperature where your air compressor is housed. Compressors generate heat, and heat is your enemy. It results in water in the system and water is the enemy as well. Excessive heat can cause a lot of wear and tear as well. Test your automatic shutdown system and make sure that if temperatures get too high the system will shut down as it should.
- Inspect hoses, couplings and joints. Cracks in hoses can lead to leaks, fittings, screws and other connections can work themselves loose from vibrations. Replace any cracked hoses and tighten any fittings or connections that may have worked themselves loose.
- Check the oil levels regularly and clean intake vents and filters. Dirty filters can cause the compressor to work harder than it may need to and if your compressor uses oil, keeping the levels at the proper levels can prevent damage as well. Follow the instructions in the user’s manual provided by the manufacturer.
Just doing these five things regularly can help prevent serious trouble, and of course if you have any questions do not hesitate to contact our technicians and experts at (866) 413-8077 and we can help guide you to a trouble-free lifespan for your air compressor.
About Air Components
Air Components & Systems is the leader in providing efficient compressed air systems, parts, and repair. With locations in Tennessee, Virginia, and North Carolina, we are able to assist with your compressor needs right away. Call us at (866) 413-8077.